29 People Injured in a New York City Explosion

September 18, 2016, 4:56 am

At least 29 people have been injured in an explosion in a crowded district of New York City.

The cause of the blast late on Saturday in Chelsea remains unclear. Mayor Bill de Blasio described it as "intentional" but said that there were no known links to terror.

The force of the blast blew out windows and could be heard several blocks away.

Another device, reportedly a pressure cooker rigged with wires, was later found in the same district.

None of the injuries is life-threatening but one is serious, New York's fire commissioner said.

Most of those hurt suffered cuts and other minor injuries from glass and other debris.


edia captionMayor Bill de Blasio: "No evidence at this point of a terror connection"

The explosion occurred around 21:00 (01:00 GMT on Sunday). Witnesses said people ran in all directions following the "incredibly loud" blast.

Unconfirmed reports said the blast went off in a dustbin. Several blocks have been closed down by police.

"The initial indications is this was an intentional act," Mr de Blasio said.

But he added: "We also want to be upfront saying that there is no evidence at this point of a terror connection to this incident."

Law enforcement officials said that the device found at the second Chelsea location appeared to be a pressure cooker attached to wiring and a mobile phone. Police said it had been removed safely.


Chelsea is among the most fashionable districts of Manhattan and its bars and restaurants are usually crowded at the weekend.

Those in the area described being rocked by the explosion.

"It was an extremely loud noise, everything was shaking, the windows were shaking, it was crazy,'' said Rudy Alcide, a bouncer at a nightclub nearby.


Media captionNew York eyewitnesses say the blast sounded like thunder or fireworks

Another local, David McKay, said New Yorkers would remain defiant.

"The city's built upon grit and whoever perpetrated this act of lunacy I would say that their message would fall on very deaf ears."

President Barack Obama is being kept up to date on the investigation, a White House official said.

Credit BBC

Follow us on Twitter @theglobengr


Like this story? Get on the list for updates...it's FREE!.

Related News


High Court Barred The Government From Arresting Nation Media Group (NMG) Journalists Linus Kaikai

High Court on Friday barred the Government from arresting Nation Media Group (NMG) journalists Linus Kaikai, Larry Madowo and Ken Mijungu. Justic....

Raila Odinga Has Taken ‘Oath’As The President Of The Republic Of Kenya.

After days of anxiety and a postponement in December 12, 2017, Raila Odinga has taken ‘oath’ as the President of the Republic of Kenya.


Tuface, Annie in Benue To Support Flood Victims

The popular musician, Innocent Idibia, popularly known as TuFace, has arrived at the camp for internally displaced persons in Makurdi, the Benue St....

UEFA Extends Kit Assistance Scheme to 2022

UEFA has extended its successful Kit Assistance Scheme, which supports Europe’s smaller national associations....

We're ready to prove Judiciary wrong, says Uhuru, asks IEBC to set dates

President Uhuru Kenyatta has asked the electoral agency to announce the dates for the repeat presidential elections as soon as possible.