Rebuilding Houses Destroyed By Boko Haram in North-east Will Cost N20b, Says Geidam, Yobe Governor
Yobe State Governor, Ibrahim Geidam, on Thursday revealed that it will cost between N10bn and N20bn to rebuild the houses destroyed by the Boko Haram in the North-east.
Geidam said some of the victims of Boko Haram who are still currently scattered across the country in internally displaced camps will need to await reconstruction of their homes before the could return home.
The governor, who spoke with State House Correspondents at Aso Rock Villa after he had briefed President Muhammadu Buhari on development in the state, said he and the people of Yobe States were elated by the fact that the state had been finally liberated from Boko Haram.
According to him, two local government areas previously occupied by the insurgents had since been liberated.
Geidam said that many of the Internally Displaced Persons, IDPs who were hitherto quartered in different camps had returned home.
"In Yobe state, we experienced insurgency for about two or three years. There were times when the Boko Haram terrorists occupied two of our local government areas of Gulani and Gujiba before they were liberated. As I am talking to you now, we have more than 3000 IDPs in our camp.
"All of them except these 3000 have returned to their homes. That is why I am here to advise Mr President on how best these people should be resettled.
"Because they need a kind of rehabilitation of their destroyed homes by Boko Haram, some need outright reconstruction of their homes especially those which were completely destroyed by the Boko Haram terrorists. So, I came here to give him a first hand information of things on ground there.
"I briefed him on how much we were able to do to resettle those who have gone back home and then what the federal government wants the remaining ones to do. So that they will go back and settle fully in their homes that they will resume their normal business activities.
"By our estimates, actually if the federal government spends anything from 10 to 20billion, the whole area which was destroyed by Boko Haram will be reconstructed and people will go back to their homes and resume their normal lives.
"We have got relative peace. People are going about their normal lives and businesses. No threat to security of lives and property in any part of Yobe. We do not have any threats of Boko Haram anywhere in Yobe as I speak with you right now."
Geidam also told Journalists that his requests to the president received positive responses.
"His responses were very positive. He appreciated my coming and he promised that he would look into all those issues I raised", he said.