I Didn't Advise Buhari Against Running in 2019, I Can't Even Stop My Children from Contesting - Obasanjo
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo on Sunday debunked a statement credited to him wherein he was said to have advised President Muhammadu Buhari against contesting in 2019 saying he can not even restrain his children from seeking elective office.
Obasanjo's former chief press secretary, Chief Alex Nwokedi, was quoted in an online publication as claiming that Obasanjo had warned President Muhammadu Buhari not to seek re-election in 2019, as completely false and destructive by those behind it.
But Obasanjo, through a media aide, Mr. Kehinde Akinyemi, said there had been no communication between him and Nwokedi in the last three years, wondering why any news would be attributed to him, as published by the On-line publication.
According to him, my belief is that democracy allowed for anybody including President Buhari for that matter to contest any election and it is the prerogative rights of Nigerians to vote or not to vote for them.
"I have not communicated with Alex in the last three years, so how a story could be credited to me, when I did not authorized such or communicated with him in the last three years? Obasanjo queried.
He however stated in the statement, that nobody has the right not even me (Obasanjo), to advise my children not to seek for elective post. It is part of freedom of democracy.
"I condemn in the most highest manner the story and those behind it. And for those behind it, they are simply enemies of democracy and freedom of expression."
Obasanjo said that he is still committed to the peace and progress of the country's democratic development, which he assures would bring relief in no distance future with patience and understanding of the country's masses.