How Nigeria’s Chief Justice Punctured Yahya Jammeh’s Election Court Challenge

January 11, 2017, 11:53 pm

SaharaReporters has exclusively obtained a copy of the letter written by Nigeria’s Acting Supreme Court Justice Walter Onnoghen to the Chief Justice of Gambia, Emmanuel Fagbenle, declining to provide Nigerian judges to help adjudicate in the election petition of Gambian dictator, Yahya Jammeh.

The letter was in response to Justice Fagbenle’s letter sent to Nigeria on December 21 asking the CJN to allow some Nigerian judges this month to adjudicate on Jammeh’s petition over the Gambian presidential election earlier last month.  

 

Read also ... The Gambia: Yahya Jammeh Prepares For War, Hire Mercenaries

 

In it, Justice Onnoghen bluntly stated that Nigerian judges will only be available to sit in May and November 2017 due to a clash in schedules.

By the letter, the Acting Chief Justice effectively stopped Nigerian judges from being surreptitiously recruited to travel to Banjul to assist Jammeh in his tenure elongation plan.  Mr. Jammeh, in his recalcitrance to abort the election of Mr. Adama Barrow as President-elect of Gambia, had secretly reached out to several Nigerian judges using Justice Fagbenle, who is also a Nigerian.  

 

Read also ...  ECOWAS Decision is “a Declaration of War”- Yahya Jammeh

 

Earlier today, the Supreme Court in Gambia told litigants in the election that the court cannot sit until May 2017.  Justice Fagbenle told all litigants to pursue the alternative crisis resolution which has been initiated by the Economic Community Of West African States.

The decision to postpone the court hearing till May reportedly devastated Mr. Jammeh.

 

Follow us on Twitter @theglobengr

Like this story? Get on the list for updates...it's FREE!.

Related News

LATEST POSTS

IEBC Plans Electronic Voting in 2022 Polls

The IEBC is considering a fully electronic voting process in 2022 to replace the current system, a hybrid of manual and electronic.

Alrea....

Court Battles By Politicians Who Lost in The General Election

Numerous court battles by politicians who lost in the General Election are expected as they attempt to stay out of the cold for the next five years....

Ugenya IEBC Official Charged For Failing To Seal Ballot Boxes

An IEBC presiding officer was released on a Sh1 million cash bail or Sh2 million bond or similar surety for committing an electoral offence.

....

Kalembe Ndile To Challenge Mavoko MP Results in Court

Kalembe Ndile and two other Mavoko MP aspirants have rejected the parliamentary results and intend to challenge them in court.

Constituen....

93 post-poll Violence Related Casualties Reported – Red Cross

Since last evening, August 11, 2017, parts of Nairobi and Nyanza experienced a breakout of violence, where young rioters engaged the police in runn....

Share